frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

What is the best age to start with Mutual Fund investment?

The minimum age for investment in mutual funds is 18 years, which means once you become an adult you can start investing in mutual funds. However, investments in the name of the minor child can also be done but not directly by the child but through the parents or natural guardian or court-appointed guardian.
MUTUAL FUNDS:
To many people, Mutual Funds can seem complicated or intimidating. We are going to try and simplify it for you at its very basic level. Essentially, the money pooled in by a large number of people (or investors) is what makes up a Mutual Fund. This fund is managed by a professional fund manager.
It is a trust that collects money from a number of investors who share a common investment objective. Then, it invests the money in equities, bonds, money market instruments and/or other securities. Each investor owns units, which represent a portion of the holdings of the fund. The income/gains generated from this collective investment is distributed proportionately amongst the investors after deducting certain expenses, by calculating a scheme’s “Net Asset Value or NAV. Simply put, a Mutual Fund is one of the most viable investment options for the common man as it offers an opportunity to invest in a diversified, professionally managed basket of securities at a relatively low cost.
WHEN TO INVEST IN MUTUAL FUNDS:
Too old to plan for your secure future? No.
Too old to think about mutual fund investments? Certainly not.
Age is no bar when it comes to securing your retirement. And you’re never too old for mutual funds. Even if you’re above the age of 40, you’ll still find a fund to help you achieve your life goals.
If you have a high-risk appetite, then you can consider investing in equity or stocks via mutual funds. If you seek income generation rather than high returns, then you may consider debt funds as your go-to options. You can also invest in both equity and debt.
So how do you achieve the right balance between the various mutual fund schemes available in the market today?
And, how do you decide how much equity and debt to include in your portfolio?
Here’s where your age really matters.

We shall explain this to you with a simple thumb rule.
Let’s say you’re 40 years old. Subtract 40 from 100. The remainder is 60.
This means that your portfolio should allocate 40% to debt instruments and 60% to equities or stocks. The logic is that as you grow older your ability to take on risks decreases.
Therefore, you need to look at more debt instruments such as bonds when you grow older.

What type of mutual fund you should invest in depends on your needs: are you looking to increase your investment or are you looking for a fixed income?

There are several different types of equity mutual funds that will suit your financial goals. And, if you’re looking for low-risk mutual funds, then ELSS funds are what you should look at.

What should I know before putting my money in a mutual fund scheme?
Ask yourself these key questions:
How much money do you need at retirement?
How much risk can you take on?
How much do you need to maintain your current lifestyle?
When do you plan to retire? Understand yourself, your investment horizon and your ability to take risks because there are mutual funds available for every kind of investor.
During your earning years, equity funds are ideal because they tend to do well over the long term. When you’re five years away from retirement move your funds to debt instruments. Remember, the point is to lower your risk exposure as you grow older.
Here are some rules to follow when you’re trying to build a post-retirement corpus
Cut down equity exposure in your portfolio gradually as you approach your retirement age
Invest in mutual funds that will help you beat inflation.

Avoid funds with long lock-in periods. What this means is that during this lock-in period you can’t withdraw any funds before the maturity date. Investments such as Equity Linked Savings Schemes or ELSS funds offer tax savings plus lower lock-in periods of three years compared to traditional tax-saving instruments like the Public Provident Fund. In a way, ELSS funds let you cut your cake and eat it too.
Keep your risk level low and go for hybrid funds that invest in both debt and equity.
Consult your financial advisor and also read the offer documents to know in detail about the product.

How do I invest in a mutual fund?
More and more investors are choosing to invest in mutual funds using systematic investment plans (SIPs).
SIPs allow you to make fixed, regular payments every month that lends some discipline to your investment. These automated payments prevent you from making investments in an arbitrary fashion. Other investors choose to invest a lump sum amount into their portfolio.
The market today offers several kinds of investment options regardless of your age. The earlier you begin financial planning the more secure your future usually is. But know that it’s never too late to start investing in mutual funds.
Mutual Fund investments are subject to market risks, read all scheme related documents carefully.

I would highly recommend HDFC SECURITIES for further guidance on this topic as they have been in this industry for a number of years now. I being an investor also seek help from HDFC securities time and again for getting my work done easily. To invest in mutual funds you can click on the following link:
https://www.hdfcsec.com/mutual-fund-investment-online?id=lgn

Comments

• You can start at an early age. Like a mutual fund, we can start to invest Rs 500 per month. depend upon your future goals. A mutual fund scheme garners money from you and other investors and allows units in return. The fund manager then allocates the money pooled by the mutual fund over a set of stocks or bonds that form the portfolio of the fund. The fund manager decides the portfolio allocation. The price of each mutual fund unit is known as the Net Asset Value (NAV), which is derived from the value of the underlying securities. Investors can buy and sell mutual funds at the applicable NAV.

• As soon as possible.

Warren Buffett started at the are of 11 and he's arguably the most successful investor in the world. He obviously has some natural talent, but I think the fact that he started so young does have an impact. Here are 5 reasons why you should start as young as possible (which I imagine is around 10-15 years old).

1. The younger you are the faster you learn. If you can develop a solid knowledge of the markets when young, you will absorb the knowledge of investing/ the markets faster for the rest of your life.

2. When you are young you can take greater risks. It doesn't hurt if you lose 50% of your portfolio when you're 16 years old, it's more of a learning experience which can save you thousands later in life.

3. If you get skilled enough you can actually make money. And even if you don't need/ use the money, it's a good experience to learn first hand how capitalism works.

4. You learn the importance of failure to be successful and you learn to take (calculated) risks and your risk-tolerance grows.

5. If you want to work in finance in the future it surely doesn't hurt to have an experience of 10 years in the markets when you're 25 years old.

I myself started at the age of 15 encouraged by my family (I wanted to work in finance because my father and both uncles did). I wouldn't have started investing so early on without their example, now I'm glad I did because I have a better understanding than I would have had if I started later. I want to say the same to you, there is no reason why anyone should wait, if it's possible, do it! During my first two years, my returns were 91.7% per year. You can do the same and even better! The beautiful thing about investing is that it's purely up to you.
    To invest in mutual funds you can click on the following link:
    https://www.ajmeraxchange.co.in/Services/MutualFund-Distribution/MutualFund